With sunshine, sleepy villages and sloping vineyards, Portugal’s more popular than ever for both land tours and river cruises from Porto on the Douro river.
In fact, Globus escorted touring company and its sister river cruise line, Avalon Waterways, saw an 80% increase in people booking Portugal holidays in 2023.
So they’re offering even more ways to experience Portugal in 2024 – including a new river ship, new tours, extensions to Portuguese islands Madeira and the Azores - and you can be among the first to book these new holidays!
LET US HELP YOU PLAN A TRIP TO ONE OF EUROPE'S TOP DESTINATIONS FOR 2024!
Ask us about:
ESCORTED LAND TOURS OF PORTUGAL
NEW! Taste of Portugal, 11 days from Porto to Lisbon
From Porto to Lisbon, senses are filled with visions of natural wonder, wonderful wines, tempting tastes and amazing artistry on this escorted tour of Portugal.
- Porto. Nestled along the Douro River, Porto pulls you in with its labyrinthine cobbled streets, baroque splendor and the intoxicating allure of its world-famous port wine.
- Coimbra. Once Portugal’s medieval capital, this city enchants visitors with its historic university, Moorish alleyways and evenings fills with soulful fado that reverberates off its ancient walls. Perched along the Rio Mondego, this vibrant city offers a captivating blend of history and youthful energy.
- Lisbon. Set against the backdrop of seven hills, Lisbon offers a blend of old-world charm and modern dynamism, from historic tram rides to modern art scenes.
And, for those wanting to add a little Atlantic island-hopping to their “wow” list for 2024, Globus is offering two NEW extensions in Portugal!
- NEW! Madeira. Untamed beauty and cultural richness converge in this jaw-droppingly beautiful island that offers you everything form verdant hiking trails to centuries-old wine cellars. Known as the “Garden of the Atlantic,” this Portuguese archipelago is perfect for outdoor enthusiasts with its dramatic landscapes while also serving as a hidden haven for wine connoisseurs with its Madeira wine – a storied drink with a history as rich as the island itself.
- NEW! Azores. Dubbed the “Hawaii of the Atlantic,” the Azores offer a medley of experiences from whale-watching and hiking volcanic craters to soaking-in geothermal pools. Perfect for both the adventure travel and the solitude seeker, this island is a multifaceted gem in the heart of the Atlantic.
RIVER CRUISES IN PORTUGAL
Avalon Waterways’ newest ship will debut on Portugal’s Douro River in 2024. The intimate (just 102 guests) Avalon Alegria is being built exclusively to sail the Douro. Like the rest of the company’s fleet, it will feature signature Panorama Suites with beds facing the floor-to-ceiling windows on two full decks. It will also have a pool on the Sky Deck so guests can enjoy the fine Portuguese weather as you sail along the river in the sunshine.
NEW! Vida Portugal: Vineyards & Villages Along the Douro, 8 days from Porto to Porto
Hillside vineyards and historic villages await you as you sail through Portugal’s postcard-perfect views on Avalon’s all-new cruise that begins and ends in Porto and is filled with Avalon’s signature, included “Classic,” “Discovery” and “Active” excursion choices.
Featuring everything from ancient Amarante – in the picturesque Minho region, known for its golden church that dates back to 1530 – to the sandstone architecture in Salamanca Spain; rock art to riding bikes from Porto to the sea, this NEW cruise promises countless ways to soak up splendor – from medieval castles to cinematic scenery and all the vinho, baked bread, olives and cheese our guests’ desire.
*** Terms & Conditions apply; ask us for full itinerary, date, and pricing details.
Image of Madeira: Globus family of brands
Terms, conditions and restrictions apply; pricing, availability, and other details subject to change and/ or apply to US or Canadian residents. Please confirm details and booking information with your travel advisor.